Friday, October 10, 2008

Beginning the Weaning Process

As Kaelyn nears one years old...I decided to begin weaning her from breastfeeding to cows milk, with the okay from her doctor of course. I know there's a heated debate between people as to when is the right time to wean...but for us, a year old was perfect! I was a little nervous at first, as I didn't know how Kaelyn would react...however after only a couple of days, I can see that she's going to handle this marvelously. It may be harder for me than for her I think....:)

Wednesday was her first day trying cow's milk. She was a bit unsure at first, but with time got used to it and drank it down like she does water and juice. I'm glad she enjoys it so much! Last night was the first time I have dropped a nursing since we began cows milk. I wasn't sure how she'd react, as I've heard that the night time feeding can be the most difficult to break kids from. I am happy to say though that it went great....she laid down for bed and slept as she always does. This was a relief for me and a reassurance that we are doing the right thing. Kaelyn doesn't seem to be bothered by the switch to cow's milk....she seems ready and that's what is most important to me. I have read the signs that children sometimes show when they're not quite ready yet...but as far as I can tell....she's not displaying any of these signs at all. She likes the independence of having her own cup and feeding herself.

We'll play it by ear to make sure that we're weaning as gently and flexibly as possible. I'll continue to update you as to how the weaning thing is going...but "so far, so good!" :)

0 comments: